Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Sound conventions

Sound plays a super important role in horror/thriller films and I want to use it to progress our story. I really enjoy natural sounds in a film so I think that we can use the natural/diegetic sounds of the environment when we film the scene where the main character is eating alone at a restaurant because she is going to be seen eating outside. I think the sounds of cars passing by and people chattering will emphasize how lonely our main character is and I think it will work really well.

This scene, from the movie Nocturnal Animals, is an example of what I'm picturing but without the music in the background. The scene has diegetic sounds of a restaurant, you can hear people speaking, silverware clanking, and the waiters seating guests.

Since our film has horror conventions I know that we're going to need to use stings and loud noises if we want to create a sense of fear and suspense. The stings will make certain scenes very intense and the audience will be very anxious to see what happens next. I definitely want to use stings for the scenes where the doll is in one place and then our main character finds her in another place. I also want to use suspenseful music when there's just shots of the doll because it will make the doll creepier and show that something's off. I also want to use sound in scenes where it's very silent and then a small noise or loud noise is heard to scare the audience.

This scene from the movie, The Boy, shows examples of intense music when the doll is shown and it shows how silence is used to create suspense.



No comments:

Post a Comment