Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Research on Thrillers

So since my group and I are doing a thriller movie, we're going to need to research the conventions of thrillers and how they are filmed and edited.


I know that many thriller movies use unique camera movements and I would like to incorporate a lot
of dutch angles and different type of tilt shots. I want the shots to make our audience feel uneasy and like something weird is happening in our film. I also want to try and use tracking movements because I know those usually look really nice. We plan on using a lot of close ups because that can cause discomfort and I want to use high and low angles.







Sound is a really important part of the thriller genre because it helps to create suspense and intensity. When a scene is very suspenseful, the music indicates that the scene is leading up to something big which informs the audience. Intense music puts audiences on edge and makes them anxious for what's going to be revealed. Loud diegetic noises usually work to frighten audiences and I definitely want to try this in our film. I also want  to have scenes that just have the sounds of environment and I think we also need a lot of silent scenes so indicate that our character is alone and isolated.



We've also been thinking about mise-en-scene and how our film has to look. I know I want it to look dark, but not too dark so that you can't see what's happening. Most thrillers have a dark color palette because that relates to the dark story lines of thriller films. We plan on filming our protagonists in empty places so emphasize that she's alone, so we're gonna try and have shots of her to the left or right to show show that she has no one by her side. We're also going to use low-key lighting to create that sense of eeriness.



Editing also plays a key role in thriller films and I really want to focus on the editing of our film. Most thriller films have fast paced editing and I want to use a lot of eyeline matches because I think that will help with the creepiness of  our story.

Mac, Lauren. “Conventions of the Thriller Genre.” MindMeister, 14 Apr. 2016, www.mindmeister.com/685037204/conventions-of-the-thriller-genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment